Join our team and begin a rewarding career with Itafos!
Reporting to the Operations Supervisor, Plant Operators are responsible for the safe, reliable, and efficient operation of plant process equipment. This includes performing rail car and truck loading and offloading, startup, shutdown and general operation of pumps, belts, tanks, valves, and other process equipment, conducting regular operational rounds to monitor equipment health, and performing minor maintenance activities. This position is required to work a 12-hour rotating shift schedule, including day and night shifts, weekends, and holidays.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Be a safety leader through active participation in all Company safety programs and processes.
- Perform work in highly critical safety scenarios including Energy Isolation, Confined Space Entry, Line Breaking, Elevated Work, Hot Work, Hoisting and Rigging, and Mobile Equipment Proximity.
- Operate and monitor process equipment and associated systems within standard conditions and limits.
- Assist with startup, shut down, and operation of processes and equipment from a field role.
- Respond to and appropriately address process and equipment upsets.
- Identify possible operating issues and recommend action to resolve deficiencies in rate, quality, or equipment.
- Perform safe handling and loading of dry products, process chemicals, and liquid fertilizer.
- Continuously monitor conditions to ensure personal safety, process safety, and/or environmental hazards are not present, taking immediate action to address issues as identified.
- Perform regular housekeeping duties to maintain a clean work environment free of hazards.
- Complete all mandatory and assigned training courses and maintain job certifications through required refresher training.
Qualifications for the position include:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Prior experience in an industrial/manufacturing setting preferred.
- Previous experience and understanding of OSHA standards (energy isolation, confined space entry, line breaking, elevated work, hot work, etc.) preferred.
- Possess mechanical/process troubleshooting, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to read, understand, and apply policies, practices, and operating procedures.
- Ability to use computers for job functions and training.
- Must be committed to working in a highly safety-conscious team environment.
- Typical manufacturing/processing environment working near moving equipment and mechanical parts, varying levels of noise, and near fumes or airborne particles.
- Performing work both indoors and outdoors in a variety of environmental conditions including elevated temperatures, cold, rain, snow, etc.
- Performing work from elevated heights, platforms, and/or ladders.
- Performing work in confined spaces including tanks, vessels, sumps, excavations, etc.
- Performing moderate to heavy manual labor including shoveling, using a jackhammer, lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds, cleaning of process equipment, and general area housekeeping.
- Performing work using a variety of types of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including hard hats, safety glasses/goggles, gloves, hearing protection, respirators, protective suits, fall protection, etc.
- Requires frequent standing, walking, and ascending/descending stairs.
- Ability to work 12-hour, rotating shifts, including day and night shifts, weekends, and holidays.
** Itafos is committed to creating an inclusive workplace and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.**